Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Malfunctioning Meiosis and Genetic Disorders


Meiosis is the process of making sex cells, which are haploid (only contain 1 of each type of chromosome in each cell, 23 of 46 in humans). These are known as sperm cells in males, and egg cells in females. Although this is a process that occurs often, 24/7 in males, and once approximately every 28 days in females, mistakes do occur during the process in both genders. If the sex cell that is not “normal” is the one to fertilize the egg, or is fertilized by the sperm cell, the child could be born with a condition, or a chromosome disorder, depending upon the mistake that was made during the process.

Cri-du-chat is French for “cry of the cat”. It is called this due to the cry that children have when they have this disorder. This disorder causes the deletion on the short arm of Chromosome number 5, causing many genetics to “disappear”, or be lacking during the ‘assembly’ of the organism, in this case, the child. This syndrome is one of the most common chromosome deletion genetic disorders and affects between 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 50,000 children. Some symptoms of the Cri-du-chat Syndrome can include wide-set eyes, mental retardation, and a small jaw, downward slant in the eyes, a small head, and skin tags in front of the ear, slow growth, partial webbing of fingers or toes, high-pitched cat cry, and more. There are currently no known treatments or cures to this disorder.

 
 
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder where extra genetic material causes a large variety of problems for the holder. It is a condition in which there is extra genetic material in the body and delays the way the child develops physically and mentally (Kids Health). Although it is not preventable, there are treatments available to help children with this condition. Chromosome number 21 is the extra chromosome the baby inherits to get this disease, causing a change in physical appearance. Children with Down syndrome often have flattened facial features, small head, short neck, protruding tongue, and unusual shaped ears. Also, they may have poor muscle tone, short hands and short fingers, a single crease in the palm, and excessive flexibility (Mayo Clinic). Down syndrome is usually not inherited; however it could be passed down. Most of the time, this disorder is caused solely by the abnormal cell division during Meiosis and results in an extra chromosome 21.

As you can see, Meiosis is an essential process for proper development and what is considered normal and not. Scientists are always looking for new ways to cure and prevent these, and many other genetic orders found within different organisms.

Resources

Gavin, Mary L., MD. "KidsHealth." Down Syndrome. KidsHealth, Feb. 2012. Web. 2 Mar. 2013. http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/genetic/down_syndrome.html .
Staff, Mayo Clinic. "Down Syndrome." Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 07 Apr. 2011. Web. 4 Mar. 2013. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/down-syndrome/DS00182 .
Weiss, Thomas C. "Cri Du Chat Syndrome - Facts and Information." Cri Du Chat Syndrome - Facts and Information. Disabled-World, 21 Feb. 2010. Web. 3 Mar. 2013. http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/types/cri-du-chat.php .
 

5 comments:

  1. This blog post share vital information on malfunctioning meiosis and genetic disorders. I really appreciate your knowledge and writing skills. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr. Omola pure herbal mixture. I felt there was no hope for my health and I was to try the Protocol, thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by a Instagram friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of Herpes virus. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, within 2 week I was fully cured from Herpes. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great doctor contact with you all email him dr.omolaherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348118116254 you won't regret it, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES VIRUS WITH DR.ISHIAKU HERBS

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV
    3)Marriage problem, To Re-unit or cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye & ear problem
    8)peniX enlargement

    Visit his website for more information
    www.ishiakuherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete